ID for Persons of Indian Origin
The Government of India has introduced a new kind of Identity Document called Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) Card to facilitate visa-free travel to India. It is valid for a period of 15 years and gives the people of Indian Origin a lot of facilities.The scheme is broad-based, covers upto four generations and also the foreign spouse of a citizen of India or a PIO.
PIO Card applications are processed by the Consular Wing of the Embassy
The Consular Wing
Opernring 1, Stiege E (4th Floor)
1010 Vienna, Austria
Tel : +43 1 585 0793 46 (14:00-16:00)
From Monday to Friday (except holidays):
Submission of Documents/Indian Passports: 09:30-11:30
Phone Inquiry : 14:00-16:00
Collection of Documents/Indian Passports: 16:30-17:00
The PIO card can be procured by any person:
- Who at any time held an Indian passport
- He/she or either of his/her parents or grandparents or great grandparents was born in and permanently resident in India as defined in the Government of India Act, 1935 and other territories that became part of India thereafter provided neither was at any time citizen of any country as may be specified by the Central Government from time to time;
- Who is spouse of a citizen of India of a Person of Indian Origin as mentioned above.
- The facilities are available on PIO card are as follows:
- No visa required for visiting India.
- Exemption from the requirement of registration if stay in India does not exceed 180 days, registration will be required within 30 days of expiry of 180 days with the concerned Foreigners Registration Officer at the District level.
- Parity with non-resident Indians in respect of facilities available to the latter in economic, financial and educational fields.
- All facilities in the matter of acquisition, holding, transfer and disposal of immovable properties in India except in matters relating to the acquisition of agricultural / plantation properties.
- Facilities available to children of NRIs for getting admission to educational institutions in India including medical colleges, engineering colleges, Institutes of Technology, Institutes of Management etc.
- Facilities available under the various housing schemes of LIC, State Governments and others Government agencies.